Avocados don’t need PR. But if you’re still a skeptic and feel this fruit (berry actually) may not live up to the hype, here are our top 10 reasons we heart all things AVO:
- People who eat avocados regularly weigh less and have less belly fat (yup, this comes from our fave scientific study)
- They contain lutein, which means they’re great for your vision
- Eating avo’s healthy fat will keeps you full between meals
- Avos have more potassium than a bananas, making them one of our “delicious debloaters”
- They are one of the lowest pesticide fruits
- They’re loaded with vitamin K (great for your bones)
- They can ameliorate symptoms of arthritis
- They can reduce your triglyceride and LDL cholesterol levels
- They’re a great travel food, just BYO knife and spoon
- And our 10th reason, duh — they’re YUM!
Since it’s always guac o’clock at Foodtrainers, we made our 2nd annual tote bag devoted to our favorite fruit. Oh and we should mention, all profits from this beautiful bag go to protecting the environment; we are donating them to the NRDC.
And, our fave guac o’clock recipe: POWER GUAC
Plain Guacamole? Let us upgrade you. Adding Vital Proteins collagen and topping with optional organic blueberries make this guac so good for your skin and digestion. Serve with veggies, or a spoon. Serves 6.
What you need:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion (any type)
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 stick of Vital Protein collagen
- 1⁄4 cup organic blueberries to top (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
1. In a medium bowl, mash the avocados and lime juice. Stir in onion, cilantro, tomato, garlic and jalapeño until well combined. Then, add in the collagen and stir till dissolved. Season with salt and pepper and top with blueberries. Chill for 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately with crudité.
Happy 4th of July!