We are constantly trying to learn more from the “Blue Zone” areas of the world – or regions that have an unusually high longevity rate. As more research is done, it’s appearing that a component known as polyphenols may be a large contributor to that longevity. Polyphenols are a natural chemical found in plants, herbs, spices, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and some drinks derived from these. They are prebiotics and contribute to your gut bacteria.
Several studies collectively suggest that the intake of polyphenols may exert beneficial effects on improving insulin resistance, inflammation, and oxidative stress. They are the most abundant antioxidants in the diet, and their intake has been associated with a reduced aging in humans.
It’s easy to think of nutrition or dietary changes as a process of addition or subtraction – but, many times, cutting out foods isn’t even necessary if you are able to counter it with a good amount of the right stuff. We’re going to talk about what foods contain polyphenols as well as how to get a good balance of them in your diet.
Purple Brain Smoothie
This smoothie is jam-packed with secret weapons, our first goal in any smoothie recipe. It’s also delicious. Wild blueberries are lower in sugar than regular blueberries.
What you’ll need:
o 1 cup wild blueberries (these are sold frozen)
o 1 scoop collagen protein*
o 4oz unsweetened Milkadamia (or any unsweetened nut milk)
o 4oz plain, no sugar added coconut yogurt (1 Cocojune works perfectly)
o ¼ tsp matcha powder* (or more depending on level of matcha love, ¼ tsp you don’t taste it at all)
o ¼ tsp vanilla (Singing Dog, on amazon, is our brand of choice)
o 10 drops Nustevia*
o Teeny pinch of kosher salt
What to do:
- Add nondairy milk, followed by other ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Enjoy your pretty purple shake
*= available for purchase at www.foodtrainers.com/shop
- Vermont Apple Cider Vinegar
- Kyoord High-Phenolic Olive Oil
- Matchaful Matcha
- Majorelle Mint Green Tea
- Terrasoul Cacao Powder
- ILA Ceylon Cinnamon
- Old Dog Ranch Walnuts
- Strongtree Coffee
- Brightland Olive Oil
- Wonder Valley Olive Oil
- Impact of Polyphenolic-Food on Longevity: An Elixir of Life. An Overview
- Comparative study of polyphenols and caffeine in different coffee varieties affected by the degree of roasting
- Do Coffee Polyphenols Have a Preventive Action on Metabolic Syndrome Associated Endothelial Dysfunctions? An Assessment of the Current Evidence
- Tea polyphenols for health promotion
- Learn more at foodtrainers.com
- Instagram: @foodtrainers
- Facebook: facebook.com/Foodtrainers
- Twitter: @foodtrainers
- Read: The Little Book of Thin: Foodtrainers Plan-It-to-Lose-It Solutions for Every Diet Dilemma